Here is a quick guide for saving photos on your 4th generation Apple TV so that you can use them as a screensaver on your Apple TV (without constantly have your computer on for Home Sharing).
- On your computer, open iTunes and turn on Home Sharing
- File > Home Sharing
- If applicable, select ‘Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV…’
- On your Apple TV, select the ‘Computers’ app icon from the home screen
- In your Library, select Photos & choose your album
- Select ‘Set as Screensaver’ in the top right & select ‘Yes’
- You’re done
That hopefully wasn’t too complicated to do. I wanted to post this since it wasn’t clear to me from googling if you could save photos to your Apple TV (or you had to always stream via Home Sharing).
As for the Apple TV, it feels like Apple Watch territory. Something that is nice to have, but nowhere near necessary. Their app stores are still early and widespread developer support is uncertain.